Sep 7, 2011

Fantastic Four (2005)

Overall: C+
Cast: B
Plot: C
Special Effects/Stunts: C
Similarity to Comic: B
Director: Tim Story
Comic Company: Marvel
Stars: Jessica Alba, Chris Evans, Michael Chiklis
Rating: PG-13 
See the IMDB page
See the Rotten Tomatoes page

I was not super impressed with this movie, it seemed very childish but with a PG-13 rating it didn't exactly appeal to that audience.  In my opinion, this movie was not as good as it could have been.

The Good: There was one thing this movie did right, and that was casting Chris Evans, Jessica Alba, and Michael Chiklis as The Human Torch, The Invisible Woman, and The Thing.  They all did really well, as did Julian McMahon in his role as Victor von Doom.  Other than that I'd have to say the best acting probably came from the actress who played the blind girl and Stan Lee.

This movie also did a pretty god job of following the comic book.  I like how their transformation into heroes took almost the entire movie, it was a nice change of pace from the usual accident scene or montage.  I'm going to say about 70% of the effects in this movie were pretty good, mainly the landscape or cityscape ones, the character CGI could be greatly improved.

The Bad: I just said it, the character CGI in this movie was pretty bad.  I especially didn't like how they did Mr. Fantastic, he didn't look real at all.  The Human Torch looked okay for most of it but The Invisible Woman had a couple rough patches.  The Thing looked good throughout the whole movie but that's probably because he was the only character who wasn't all CGI.

This movie simple didn't deliver, as one person wrote on 'Rottentomatoes.com' it was "all foreplay and no climax" and I think that pretty much sums it up.  It slowly built up and then the climax of the movie was a real letdown.  I also didn't like how they never really explained Dr. Doom's power, if I have any pet peaves about superhero movies that'd be number one; always explain a superpower clearly.

The Interesting: The science in this movie seemed flawed.  When Mr. Fantastic created his machine designed to change them back he said it worked by re-exposing them to the same kind of radiation and that would change them back.  So let me get this straight; that's like saying if I hit my hand with a hammer, I can make it better by hitting my hand with the same hammer again?  That doesn't make sense.  I also didn't understand how The Thing could use the machine to change back into a person, but then he uses it again and it changes him back into The Thing?  These are superpowers we're talking about here not clothes, you can't just use a machine whenever you want to get them (unless you're the Green Goblin or Captain America ect.)

My final beef with that machine is that Reed said "it has a high chance of increasing our powers or killing us" then he uses the machine and what happens?  He steps out, melts, and then is just fine in the next scene.  WHAT?!  This movie had some serious consistency issues.

Conclusion: I guess this movie wasn't too bad, maybe I've just outgrown it, but if I have then so have the majority of people who would have gone to see it or bought it on DVD, so overall I'd call it a fail.


No comments:

Post a Comment