Aug 30, 2011

Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)

Overall: A-
Cast: A
Plot: B+
Special Effects/Stunts: B+
Similarity to Comic: A
Director: Joe Johnston
Comic Company: Marvel
Stars: Chris Evans, Hayley Atwell, Hugo Weaving
Rating: PG-13 
See the IMDB page
See the Rotten Tomatoes page

If I were to describe this moving in one word it would be "...".  That's right; after seeing this movie I am utterly speechless, it was THAT awesome.  Not many movies can build as much hype as this one and totally deliver, needless to say I was impressed.

The Good: I'm going to be the first to say it; Chris Evans totally proved me wrong.  I was among the many people who, when learned of his casting, believed the movie was doomed before it began.  I don't know how they were able to make him look 90 pounds in the beginning and huge in the second 2/3's of it, but it sure worked and his acting backed it up.  He didn't have the flamboyant showboating attitude of the Human Torch, he brought the heroic selfless attitude of Captain America.  Hayley Atwell did a great job, especially for a relatively unknown actress, Tommy Lee Jones (or as I call him; the TLJ) provided quality comedic relief and Hugo Weaving was spectacular with his portrayal of Red Skull.

I love most things about this plot.  My favorite part being that back in WWII "Captain America" was created in order to get young men interested in joining the army.  In this movie I love how they actually used Steve Rogers to campaign to get people to join/donate to the army.  I liked how most of the second half of the movie was action, yet it didn't seem unbalanced.  The special effects were pretty good, I saw this movie in 2D and 3D and I must say it looked better in 3D, which is saying a lot about how far 3D technology has come in the last few years.

The Bad: Although I liked how well Hugo Weaving played Red Skull, I think the character itself needed a little more development throughout this movie.  He seemed just like the stereotypical mutant evil guy.  He just spouted off about being a god the whole movie and didn't really do anything except find whatever power source it was that they used to power all the lazer-like weapons his henchmen used.  Which brings me to my next thought; what the deuce was that?  They never really explained what that was, just some shiny ancient uber-powerful cube?  Sounds kind of like Transformers to me, or Animorphs if you ever read that.

One thing I noticed while watching this film is that movies filmed and designed specifically for 3D have a very different style than those converted to 3D.  Mainly there's more stuff flying directly at the viewer, which gets pretty annoying when you're watching it in two dimensions.  I am disappointed that they didn't wrap up the love story between Steve and Agent Carter, but I can totally see her hooking up with Stark instead and being Iron Man's mother, which will be a great source of drama in 'The Avengers'.

The Interesting: I wasn't expecting Howard Stark to be such a major player in this movie, but I was pleasantly surprised and I hope that actor has some kind of roll in 'The Avengers'.  I really liked what they did with Captain America's costume.  I was afraid it was going to look cheesy and stick out like a sore thumb, or they'd change the sets to look just as lame, but they did an excellent job avoiding all of that.  It's amazing to me how you can film a movie about WWII and not show anybody being killed (other than the few dudes who get vaporized by the lazers).  It goes along with Captain America's personality though, the whole not killing anybody thing, like Batman, but they don't come right out and say it in this movie which I find interesting.

The shield.  I do not understand it.  It is supposedly made of vibranium, which means it can't vibrate.  I have a couple problems with this.  First- how does making a shield vibration-proof make it strong?  Second-right after he's told this, Agent Carter shoots it and it definitely vibrates.  I do not understand.

Conclusion: This movie is fantastic, you owe it to yourself and everyone you know to see it.  The acting is great, the effects are good, and the plot is the best of the avengers movies so far.


No comments:

Post a Comment