Aug 25, 2011

X3: The Last Stand (2006)

Overall: B
Cast: B
Plot: A+
Special Effects/Stunts: B
Similarity to Comic: D
Director: Brett Ratner
Comic Company: Marvel
Stars: Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, Hugh Jackman
Rating: PG-13
See the IMDB page
See the Rotten Tomatoes page

This was an interesting way to end the X-Men trilogy.  I never thought I'd see the day when a comic book movie kills off two of it's major characters.  Also, there were a lot more plot holes in this movie and some weird inconsistencies.  It's still a good movie though, and a great ending to this unprecedented trilogy.

The Good: For the final time I will start a post about how well Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen play their respective parts as Professor X and Magneto, they have really been the rocks of this cast.  Hugh Jackman turns in another convincing performance as Wolverine and Famke Janssen really broke out of her shell that was Dr. Grey's character.  I liked  Ellen Page as Shadowcat (even though it's a different actress than who played that role in X2) and Kelsey Grammer (yes, Kelsey Grammer from Frasier) did a great job as Beast, one of my all time favorite X-Men.

I really can't say enough about this plot.  I've been talking it up for two whole posts and it deserves it.  It's so relatable and is a metaphor for so many problems both internationally and right in our own backyards.  I like how this movie pushed the issues of humans vs. mutants to a whole new level by creating a war complete with a weaponized "cure".  The "cure" also had impacts politically and among the x-men themselves.  That along with the deaths of Cyclops and Xavier gave this movie the perfect "THIS ENDS NOW!!!" feeling that I think every final movie in a trilogy should have.

The Bad: I haven't been too critical of Magneto's henchmen up until now, mainly because they haven't really been that bad.  These henchmen though are horrible.  Come on, a blowfish guy?  The Juggernaut, Arclight, and Callisto all really annoyed me throughout the movie.  Even their lines that were supposed to be funny, like "I'm the Juggernaut b*%$#!" I don't know, maybe it's just because I'm not 13 anymore but this movie had some unnecessarily dumb parts.

Another thing about this movie is that the special effects seemed to take a step backward, like they blew most of the budget making Magneto move the Golden Gate Bridge and everything else was second rate CGI.  I liked how Beast and Angel were actually in this movie, I think they should have been in the series the whole time, but I wasn't a fan of how they portrayed angel.

The Interesting: The first thing that caught my eye was that in the beginning of the movie there was no lecture-like intro spoken by Professor X about genetics, which was a staple of the first two movies.  Also, Xavier was WALKING in a segment that was from 20 years earlier.  Again this may not be a fair assessment and probably belongs in another post but at the end of X-Men: First Class Xavier gets shot and can't move his legs, so how is it he's walking then as an older man?  Perhaps he's been paralyzed more than once in his life?  Sucks to be that guy.

Another thing that kind of bothered me was that during Magneto's assault on Alcatrz, he lets all of his "pawns" fight first, and they all get "cured" within seconds.  The next shot is of Magneto and a couple of his most powerful mutants, alone, like there's nobody else with them.  Then Pyro screams "lets get them" and out of nowhere a bunch more evil mutants show up and keep attacking.  What? Unless a mutant there had the ability to make other people invisible I see no excuse for this kind of magic.

Conclusion: This movie is very very good.  I would have given it a better overall rating had it not been for some fixable plot holes and the annoying henchmen.  Few movies deliver such an intense climax and a plot that's riddled with politics, romance, human nature, war, and above all a perfect blend of science fiction and reality.


No comments:

Post a Comment